tekkai235
Hey Daniel, Noticed that you guys are in the process of developing a 12.3 inch for the B8, I'm curious about that size and how it would integrated into the vehicle compared to the 10.5. Any sample shots so far ?
TimWatts
Originally Posted by: tekkai235

Hey Daniel, Noticed that you guys are in the process of developing a 12.3 inch for the B8, I'm curious about that size and how it would integrated into the vehicle compared to the 10.5. Any sample shots so far ?

I met up with Daniel today in Montreal to see the new hardware for the 10.25 & 12.3 models. These are going to be great! The 12.3 is quite a bit bigger ... I will be giving one a try when it is ready to beta test in my B8 A4. Both of the new screens are really nice. Both are higher resolution at 1920 x 720. The 10.25 has a factory applied anti-reflection matte finish applied, and when comparing to the 12.3, it is a very cool (bright white tone) display. The 12.3 is the same resolution, 1920 x 720, but it does not come with a factory applied matte anti-reflective coating and the display has a warmer white balance setting. I prefer to not have the anti-reflective coating and the warmer white balance.

For the cooler / warmer white balance, to understand what I am talking about go to your local big box hardware store and look at the "daylight/cool" vs. "warm" light bulbs.

They are running Android 7.1.x, and the interface looks great. Daniel is also working on bringing in some of the settings from outside of the unit, to be adjustable within the unit, so that hardware would not need to be adjusted, but the adjustments can be managed within the Android system. As part of this, he is also working on a single update file, (then select your car within Android) to apply the correct settings, as well he is working on over the air software and firmware updates. This will make the update process simple and much less chance of making a mistake that might brick the device.

The new platform, will be a massive improvement over the current manufacturer's offerings. As many people will often say, things happen for a reason, so this change of manufacturers should bring with it a much better epxerience for all from the initial purchase to any after sale support as well.

Keep up the great work Daniel.

My comments above, are my comments. I am not sponsored or paid by Daniel or RSNAV in any way. I am a community member that is passionate about all things Audi. @AlteredA4 (Instagram)
Integrated Engineering (Sport Short Block | Sport Head Assy | Intake Manifold), Eurodyne Stg 2, AWE FMIC, ECS Lightweight Flywheel/South Bend Stg 2 Endurance Clutch, 034 Hi Flow SS Cat, Mototec SS Downpipe | SS Exhaust, GFB DV+, H&R Rear Sway Bar, 034 Billet Transmission Mount Insert, 034 Density Motor Mounts, Apikol Rear Diff Mount, Alu Kreuz, 034 Density Front Control Arms, UR Strut Bars, AP Racing BBK 380(F)/330(R) floating rotors
erik83
Thanks for sharing some updates Tim.

Originally Posted by: TimWatts

Daniel is also working on bringing in some of the settings from outside of the unit, to be adjustable within the unit, so that hardware would not need to be adjusted, but the adjustments can be managed within the Android system.

Can you give an example what we should think about that's covered by this?

Quote:

As part of this, he is also working on a single update file, (then select your car within Android) to apply the correct settings, as well he is working on over the air software and firmware updates. This will make the update process simple and much less chance of making a mistake that might brick the device.

Will this also be available for the MediaTek platform users (presumably the biggest group at this moment)?

I thought about the update problem and I think for the short term we could have a little webform on rsnav.com similar to how you find the correct video card driver for a PC.
You enter HW version, Car model/year, screen size and region and it will only provide links to the system, can and mcu software that matches for you. I don't know if the serial number of the device encodes enough information to do the same, but you get the idea.

Not associated to RSNav, just a community member helping.
2012 A5 2.0 TFSI Quattro (B8.5), MMI 3G BNav (EU)
RSNav 10.25" Hardware 3 , Android 6, System: M8.q5.2.0.1.04122016, MCU: 7.6.1212, CAN: Q5.V2.0.2.181226
pbayani
and I just received the unit for my 2009 Audi A4 Avant.... Already time to upgrade LOL
TimWatts
Originally Posted by: erik83

Thanks for sharing some updates Tim.

Originally Posted by: TimWatts

Daniel is also working on bringing in some of the settings from outside of the unit, to be adjustable within the unit, so that hardware would not need to be adjusted, but the adjustments can be managed within the Android system.

Can you give an example what we should think about that's covered by this?

Quote:

As part of this, he is also working on a single update file, (then select your car within Android) to apply the correct settings, as well he is working on over the air software and firmware updates. This will make the update process simple and much less chance of making a mistake that might brick the device.

Will this also be available for the MediaTek platform users (presumably the biggest group at this moment)?

I thought about the update problem and I think for the short term we could have a little webform on rsnav.com similar to how you find the correct video card driver for a PC.
You enter HW version, Car model/year, screen size and region and it will only provide links to the system, can and mcu software that matches for you. I don't know if the serial number of the device encodes enough information to do the same, but you get the idea.

Hi Erik,

If my memory serves me correctly, Daniel was talking about bringing the controls for air bag switch errors into the main software, to allow for variances in configurations. Currently, the air bag switch is "mostly dumb", was developed with one, maybe two scenarios in mind to account for. No way to add third or forth unplanned configurations, so requires replacement switch with board to resolve. If logic is brought into main system and controlled via software updates will be much easier to fix unknown/unplanned issues like that. Since a firmware update would be able to change the functionality. Make sense? We didn't talk about it too much, but it makes sense to me in this way. Switch would be dumb switch with wires running back into unit, unit would control logic of what the switch is expecting through software, the nit can be updated without need to make new switch w/pcb controller.

Unfortunately from my understanding, this would only be available in the new systems since it needs to start as a change in the hardware & software configuration approach.

Yes, MediaTek is the largest user base without question. Things that can be back-ported, may be, but features that require the new hardware would most likely not be. Maybe a good upgrade path for existing users would be an option that Daniel may consider.

Daniel as well talked about changing the way people determine which models will fit their car. (Lots of questions about this pre-sale) ... Again lots of questions then again about which upgrade file to apply. Need to help filter out what is available / correct for model.

You are on the right track with using drop down selections to filter items that are compatible.

Integrated Engineering (Sport Short Block | Sport Head Assy | Intake Manifold), Eurodyne Stg 2, AWE FMIC, ECS Lightweight Flywheel/South Bend Stg 2 Endurance Clutch, 034 Hi Flow SS Cat, Mototec SS Downpipe | SS Exhaust, GFB DV+, H&R Rear Sway Bar, 034 Billet Transmission Mount Insert, 034 Density Motor Mounts, Apikol Rear Diff Mount, Alu Kreuz, 034 Density Front Control Arms, UR Strut Bars, AP Racing BBK 380(F)/330(R) floating rotors